Thursday, June 23, 2016

Hey Bill Nye, How Do I Escape Religion?

Today's #TuesdaysWithBill question deals with the unending conflict between science and religion. How does someone who has grown up indoctrinated with religious thinking break the old mold and learn to embrace science and reason?

It's important to adopt a critical approach to life and familiarize oneself with skeptical thinking. Stick to the facts. Evaluate claims. Judge for yourself whether the things people say are truly steeped in reason, or if it's all just wool over your eyes. These mindsets take time and effort to develop, so don't get discouraged if you don't become a totally rational, skeptical thinker on day 1.

All that said, there is one thing Bill cannot stress enough though: Do not confuse skepticism with cynicism.



Transcript

Hey Bill. I’m Andrew LaRue. I’m from northwest Ohio. Thanks for taking my question. My question is where — I’ve been indoctrinated with religion most of my life and I am 20 years old right now and I’m just kind of opening my mind up to what I’ve learned from science. And I’m just kind of wondering kind of by reeducating myself because religion is all I’ve really ever known. So I’m just looking to start over. Thank you.

'Hey Bill Nye, How Do I Escape Religion?' #TuesdaysWithBill

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...